Manganese (Mn) is a hard, silvery white metal with a melting point of 1,244 °C (2,271 °F). Ordinarily too brittle to be of structural value itself, it is an essential agent in steelmaking, in which it removes impurities such as sulfur and oxygen and adds important physical properties to the metal. For these purposes it is most often employed as a ferromanganese or silicomanganese alloy; as a pure metal it is added to certain nonferrous alloys.
Although the type of manganese ore more,but the basic approach is and weakly magnetic beneficiation of iron ore beneficiation methods similar.Its unique point is:
- Processing methods is more and more used in conjunction with the Joint process almost every one job to produce qualified concentrates.
- Because manganese ore resources are concentrated,so the size of the mill generally relatively large.If the former Soviet Union was handling 30 million tons of ore in 19 plant processing,in which the Poko Rove Nikopol mill scale reached 6,000,000 tons, annual output of 2.6 million tons ore. Trout Island ore processing plant of 2.5 million tons, 1.25 million tons produced concentrates.
- High product quality.Manganese ore in the most country is high grade, dressing effect,the product quality is also high.South Africa also only manganese ore by crushing, washing, products reached 40-48% manganese,Australian average head grade of 33%, up to 42-50% manganese ore; Gabon manganese ore beneficiation by heavy media up to 49 manganese -50%,Soviet Poko Rove concentrator processing 17.5% manganese carbonate manganese ore, manganese ore by 28.6%.
- To adapt to the expansion of the mill and its equipment is also increasingly large.
- High degree of automation.
- Beneficiation processes and equipment continue to improve and update.
- The product deep processing:some of the production of manganese ore countries,a new trend is the development of the commodity manganese ore further processing into products instead of ore exports in order to increase economic efficiency.