Electric separation is basised on the theory that the mineral and material with different charge occurred separation under the action of outer electric field.Electric separation take advantage of material inherent in different friction charged property, conductivity and dielectric properties. Because the electrostatic force is proportional to the particle size of the surface charge and electric field intensity, the electrostatic force have a big influence to fine, patches of light particles. Therefore, particles can be effectively separated.
Industrial application of electric separation process can be subdivided into several categories:
- the separation of mineral and coal (coal and ore dressing department)
- purification of food (food)
- waste disposal (waste management)
- electrostatic classification (according to the size and shape of solid classification)
- electrostatic deposition (removed from a solid particulate pollutants or removed from the gas liquid)